The Argyle Township Court House & Gaol is Canada’s oldest standing courthouse, built in the village of Tusket, Nova Scotia in 1805. It operated as a working courthouse and jail from 1805 until 1944. The building served as the Municipal Offices for the Municipality of Argyle from 1945 until 1976.In 1982 the building was partially restored and re-opened as a museum and historic site. In 2005 the building was declared a National Historic Site.
Open Daily July & August 9am-5pm
Open Mon.- Fri. May, June, Sept., & Oct. 8:30am – 4:30pm
The Argyle Township Court House is owned and supported by the Municipality of Argyle. Their assistance has been and continues to be invaluable. Many people in the community, however, felt there was a need for additional support, and as a result, the Argyle Municipality Historical & Genealogical Society (AMHGS) was incorporated in 1989.The Society’s mission is to first preserve, protect, promote and make available to the public the Argyle Township Court House, MORE
The Argyle Township Court House Archives was established in 1983, and became the first Municipal Archives in Nova Scotia. The archive was formed around the large body of municipal records that remained in the Argyle Township Court House, when the Municipal Offices removed from the building in 1976.
The archives continued to operate from the Court House from 1983 to 2006. In 2000 the Argyle Municipality Historical & Genealogical Society took the bold move of purchasing the former Seventh-Day Adventist church building MORE
Open Daily July & Aug. 9am – 5pm
Open throughout the year: 8:30am – 4:30pm (closed 12pm – 1pm)